Poster of the IFT-R3S
Institute of Space Sciences (CSIC-IEEC)
3rd Institute of Space Sciences Summer School and
1st IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing society (GRSS) Instrumentation and Future Technologies (IFT)
Remote Sensing Summer School (IFT-R3S)
Bellaterra (Barcelona) - 1-5 July 2019
The Institute of Space Sciences (Institut de Ciències de l’Espai - ICE) is organizing its 3rd Institute of Space Sciences Summer School, which in this edition is linked to the 1st IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing society (GRSS) Instrumentation and Future Technologies (IFT) Remote Sensing Summer School (IFT-R3S).
The objective of the first Summer School on Instrumentation and Future Technologies for Remote Sensing is to promote future research in remote sensing, to connect future PhD students to research topics under the IEEE GRSS IFT Technical Committee, and to highlight the educational activities of the GRSS society. This IFT-R3S is meant to be the first of an itinerant series (annual or biannual) of IFT-R3S editions, moving to different towns and continents and hosted by other Instrumentation and Future Technologies Technical Committee (IFT-TC) groups.
The topics of this edition are:
- SAR principles, modes of operation, spaceborne instrument, processing, interferometric SAR, bi-static SAR,
- Reflectometry using Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and other Sources of OPportunity (SoOP),
- Lidar principles, Lidar applications, instruments, and processing techniques.
Information and application forms can be found at: http://www.ice.csic.es/summer2019
are open since February 4th, 2019 and will close on April 26th, 2019
. Acceptance of participants will be announced on April 30th, 2019. The school fees are 50 e for Master and PhD
students, and 100 e for young professionals.
A number of partial and full studentships will be available.
Additional information can be requested to: email@example.com
Confirmed Lecturers and Topics
- OPENING SESSION
– The IEEE and GRSS societies, early career perspective: Prof. Adriano Camps, Past President IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing society (GRSS), Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
– Relevance and Impact of Remote Sensing into NOAA products: Dr. Lı́dia Cucurull, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, USA
– Overview of Radar Remote Sensing Techniques: Dr. Scott Hensley, NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory, CA, USA
– SAR principles, operation modes, spaceborne SAR instruments: Dr. Marwan Younis, DLR, Germany
– SAR processing: Dr. Scott Hensley, NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory, CA, USA
– SAR interferometry, Bi-static SAR: Dr. Pau Prats, DLR, Germany
- REMOTE SENSING WITH GNSS AND SoOP
– GNS Reflectometry and Radio Occultation: Dr. Estel Cardellach, Institute of Space Sciences (IEEC-CSIC), Spain
– Reflectometry with other Sources of OPportunity (SoOP): Dr. Rashmi Shah, NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory, CA, USA
– GNSS-R and SoOP-R instruments: Dr. Serni Ribó, Institute of Space Sciences (IEEC-CSIC), Spain
– Lidar principles: Prof. Adolfo Comerón, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), Spain
– Lidar applications: Dr. Upendra N. Singh, Chair IEEE GRSS Instrumentation and Future Technologies Technical Committee (IFT), NASA/Langley Research Center, VA, USA
– Lidar Instruments and processing techniques: Prof. Alex Papayannis, President ICLAS, National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
- CLOSING REMARKS
– IEEE Young Professionals and Inspire, Develop, Empower, Advance (IDEA) activities: Dr. Shawn C. Kefauver, IEEE GRSS IDEA committee, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
– School closure: Dr. Upendra Singh, Chair IEEE GRSS Instrumentation and Future Technologies Technical Committee (IFT), NASA/Langley Research Center, VA, USA
- General chair: Dr. Cardellach, Estel (ICE-CSIC & IEEC)
- Logistics and Finance: Mrs. Cortés, Noemí (ICE-CSIC & IEEC)
- Technical and educational contents – SAR: Dr. Younis, Marwan (DLR)
- Technical and educational contents – GNSS/SoOP: Dr. Shah, Rashmi (NASA/JPL)
- Technical and educational contents – Lidar: Dr. Tzeremes, Georgios (ESA/ESTEC)
- Link to GRSS: Dr. Singh, Upendra N. (NASA/LRC)
- GRSS communications POC: Dr. Burgin, Mariko (NASA/JPL)
• CSIC-IEEC will provide a limited number of studentships to cover part or full costs of accommodation and/or short-distance travel.
• IEEE GRSS will provide a limited number of studentships to cover part of the costs of long-distance travel.
• Please note that students being granted by IEEE GRSS must be member of the IEEE at the time of accepting the studentship.
• Granted studentships will be communicated together with the letter of acceptance (end of April).