The research activity of the group “Interstellar Medium: star and planet formation” is focused in the early stages of the star and planet formation process, with special emphasis on the role of magnetic field at different scales.
In particular, we aim at investigating:
- The role of magnetic fields in the formation of stars and planets, from cloud to disk scales
- Stellar winds from massive stars: bubbles, magnetized jets and onset of outflow collimation
- The physical and chemical properties of molecular clouds, their filamentary nature, and the core fragmentation process they undergo to form stars and stars clusters
- The study of the magnetic field (from dust polarization observations) combined with the gas kinematic information at core scales (<0.1 pc). The goal is to analyze both gravity and gas dynamics and be able to compare them with the magnetic field.
- The evolution of protoplanetary disks: looking for signatures of planet formation
- Cortes, P. C., Girart, J. M., Hull, C. L. H., et al., "Interferometric
Mapping of Magnetic Fields: The ALMA View of the Massive Star-forming Clump W43-MM1", 2016, The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 825, L15
- Carrasco-González, C., Torrelles, J. M., Cantó, J., et al.,
"Observing the onset of outflow collimation in a massive protostar", 2015, Science, 348, 114
- Busquet, G., Zhang, Q., Palau, A., et al., "Unveiling a Network of Parallel Filaments in the Infrared Dark Cloud G14.225-0.506", 2013, The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 764, L26
- Torrelles, J. M., Patel, N. A., Curiel, S., et al., "A wide-angle outflow with the simultaneous presence of a high-velocity jet in the high-mass Cepheus A HW2 system", 2011, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 410, 627
- Girart, J. M., Beltrán, M. T., Zhang, Q., Rao, R., & Estalella, R., "Magnetic Fields in the Formation of Massive Stars", 2009, Science, 324, 1408
Josep Miquel Girart, José María Torrelles, Gemma Busquet, Victoria Cabedo, Nacho Añez